I’m back! And I have some news!*
*adhd sufferers scroll straight to the bottom.
These past 3 weeks have been pretty crazy for me, so I thought creating a list of happenings would be suitable.
- I flew to San Fran.
- Stayed at the 202 mansion with the industry saints Wes Mahler, Alex Tshering, Nana Gilbert Baffoe, The Waldek, and Man Ma. Worked at top secret “Cleervoyance” offices for three days, which also happens to be the HQ of the “Puzzle Queen.” (Sorry for being so vague, they are a new company that want to remain low profile for now.)
- Tracked down the mysterious Mc Rib at a local Mc Donalds and had lunch with Justin Barr (entrepreneur, sports analyst, misc horder and food fanatic.)
- Bought some memory for my laptop from a dodgy looking repair store (possibly the reason for the death of my laptop.)
- Had lunch with Phoenix Morgan (he nearly lost his wallet but thanks to his lightening pace he managed to run back and pick it up off the street before any local opportunists could.)
- Went and visited Feldo. Got Sataysfied on the street. Delicious.
Headed out to a house party for Halloween with Wes and Maria and then somehow got dropped off at “The Castro” (interesting place to say the least.)
- Watched the baseball World Series final game at a local pub. Did not have a clue what was going on, but the dirty beards and old school music were great.
- Flew over to NYC with Silver Stoltsen (my roommate/confidant for the week).
- Went to a very classy lowkey Mundo Media (great folk) event. Met up with Alex Tsatkin a.k.a The Angry Russian, and my Italian cousin Giancarlo Maniaci (the man that makes things happen). Also bumped into Jackey Chen and Kamal Bidie Shokar (this is the kind of person I have my A.D.H.D summaries for), as well as the Consumer Track posse.
- We then went to a Mazzle Media event which had an awesome rock violinist playing.
- Went to Ad Tech, scoured the floors for the day. Was a bit disappointed with the lack of new traffic source opportunities. Mainly connected with companies I had already been working with. OpenX stole the show hosting a table tennis tournament on the actual Ad Tech floor. Luckily my arch nemesis didn’t show his face at the conference.
- That night we were invited to a “special” steak dinner hosted by the oh-so-charming birthday girl Kim Kaplan and Benyonce Louie from Plenty Of Fish. Other attendees were Casey Jenks, Matt Wasserman, Stanley Shilov, Silver Stoltson, Alex Tsatkin, Ken Chen, and Thatcher Michelsen. A very civilized bunch. Great food and conversation to top it off!
- Secrets traded, stomachs full, we headed over to an Azoogle event. Then we went to an a BDR Engage event at the “Greenhouse” (not my house, just a local club). I finally got to meet the elusive Ryan Thompson (I’ve never seen a happier man) and his team from Bootcamp Media, as well as Brandon Clark, (flapjack lover and dance-floor renegade) from CPV Lab.
- Another day at Ad-Tech sweeping the floors for new contacts. Bumped into Eric Ngo, Ad Hustler, and Mr Ian Fernando.
Then went to a lovely small shindig hosted by Ryan Thompson (still in an extremely happy state). Hung out with Eleah Pedortillo (number 2 Ogilvy fan) from AdSimilis. Headed over to “The Griffin” for Gene Mikhov’s birthday. Wow that was an eye opener. Reminded me of something from a Bond movie (really, really nice, expensive club, with a hint of Russians). Lost my wallet too.
- Last day in New York, Silver walked round town for the day. That night we managed to get tickets to a NY Nicks NBA game. Good seats too! Sat next to Al Houston, opposite Thierry Henry, and within stalking distance of Chris Rock.
Next morning I flew over to L.A, was picked up by the ever so shifty Nick Tumbocon (he sports a thick wirey mustache that overhangs his top lip). We then headed to Disneyland and meet up with the crew Miss Danielle, Jasper Pangilinan (p90x success story), Azineth Briones, and Mr Roland Navarro. Stunner of a day! Topped off by eating whole turkey legs and watching a dance battle with some guy doing the Melbourne shuffle.
- Back to NZland!
- This past week or so, I’ve been chatting to local startups as well as turning up to some business events. Why? Well this next year I’m interested in doing some angel investing…to keep things interesting!
Wow. I’m exhausted after writing all ofthis. So that’s roughly what I’ve been doing. I’m finally get back into the swing of things. If I haven’t responded to your email please forgive me!
As for my special A.D.H.D readers:
I hung out in San Francisco for a bit. Flew to Ad Tech conference in NYC. Had more success leveraging existing relationships than making new ones. Lost my wallet. Went to Disneyland. Came back home to write some great new blog posts for you lot.