There are four reason why you aren’t currently running on Plenty of Fish Ads:
- You don’t think there is volume – There is volume, people are spending mid-high $x,xxx/day.
- You only think dating offers work – Some of those high volume campaigns are nowhere close to the dating niche. Sorry I cant disclose the niche.
- You tried but to no luck – No problem this post should help you!
- You can’t be bothered – Plenty of Fish are the most affiliate friendly and transparent network on the interweb. I would advise to get in before the brand advertisers take over.
Now you now how dreamy Plenty of Fish is here are some tips to get your campaigns rocking:
Frequency Cap – More than just a pretty face.
The frequency cap feature is a powerful tool if used correctly. This is how you utilize it.
- Use the exact same campaigns and test it at a higher cpm (0.50 – 0.60) and tighten the frequency cap to 3.
- At the same time run it at a lower cpm (0.15-0.25) and open up the frequency cap to 5 or 10.
- While the offer may not convert at the same metrics as the higher cpm, the lower cost will offset this and overall your ROI should remain the same with a lot more inventory to be had.
- In the US right now the lowest cpm for the smaller units is around 0.32. In Canada and the UK there’s lots of traffic to be had around 0.15 – 0.25 so I’d test this in these countries first.
Standard IAB sizes – They kind of look like these big ad thingys. You can use them you know!
I’m not sure why these ad sizes aren’t used often. Maybe it’s people stuck in their ways with Facebook Ads, who knows? Although only around 30% of impressions are served to IAB ads, most people don’t realize that the option is there because they have to deposit $1000 before it’s available. These ads are shown on completely SEPARATE pages from the smaller ad units. What pages are they? Glad you asked! They are all profile pages as well as the sent messages and view messages. Use that knowledge to your advantage by, I dunno, maybe talking about messages in your ads???
Extra Traffic – Yes Please.
Markus the Marlin posted this great tip on Wickedfire. The way the POF system works right now is if you create 3 campaigns, your traffic will increase by a factor of 6-9. If they don’t have 3 types of ads to show at 20 cents, they don’t show anything. So if you have 3 campaigns, all 3 of your campaigns could show up at once. Simple.
Branding – Say What?
It took me a while to come to terms with this word. Now this is not exclusive to POF, but it was brought to my attention by POF. A little bird told me that one of things that POF consistently see through the advertising they do is, that for every person that clicks our ads, three times as many more saw the ad and will visit our site at a later date. This really only applies to people using IAB ads plus their own landers. But as an experiment, try having your lander URL somewhere prominent on your creative. You will be able to tell which conversions came from branding since they would have directly typed in your URL, not gone through a subid.
One Penny Tip – It still works.
Quite frankly I’m disappointed here. I tried my best to help the masses with a decent bidding strategy, but it hasn’t stuck. Reports from the POF lighthouse say that masses are still heavily bidding on five cent increments. At the moment you are bidding against a tonne of people in comparison to what you would have been if you were hitting those penny increments. Take a hint!!!
Targeting Strategies – Go tiny or go large.
There is a killing to be made by going super targeted. I’m talking zip codes, provinces, and single ages. If you’re too lazy to go with that strategy, go large. I’m not allowed to go in depth here sorry.